BEST ELECTRIC AIR FRYERS REVIEWS 2020 – BUYER’S GUIDE
What is a hot air fryer?
A hot air fryer is an electronic kitchen appliance that works like a convection oven. The devices often referred to as “Airfryers”, are used to prepare low-fat foods that are normally cooked in a conventional deep fryer – for example French fries, meat, or breaded bread.
Best Air Fryers at a Glance:
- GoWISE USA 3.7 Qt Programmable Air Fryer with 8 Cooking Presets
- GoWISE USA 5.8 Quart 8 in 1 5.8 Quart XL Electric Air Fryer
- T-falActiFry fryer
- Philips Frustration-Free HD9652 / 90 Viva Turbostar Air Fryer from Philips
- Purify BLACK + DECKER 2 Liter Air Fryer
- Cuisinart TOA-60 Deep Fryer
- Big Boss Oil-Free Air Fryer
- 6 QT Electric Air Fryer with 7 in 1 Cooking Functions
- Digital Touch Screen for Cozyna SAF-32 Deep Fryer
- Dash Compact Air Fryer
Specifications of GoWISE USA 3.7 Qt Programmable Air Fryer with 8 Cooking Presets
|Item Weight||13 pounds|
Main Features of GoWISE USA 3.7 Qt Programmable Air Fryer with 8 Cooking Presets
- The GoWISE USA Programmable 3.7 Quart Air Fryer features a handle that stays cool during the heating process.
- The set includes a cooking basket and a drip pan, both made from non-stick iron for easy cleaning.
- This model is equipped with a timer that beeps when it is finished.
- Automatically turns off when not in use or when the timer has expired.
Reviews of GoWISE USA 3.7 Qt Programmable Air Fryer with 8 Cooking Presets
If you haven’t heard – air is the new oil! Modern in design and plum red in color, this versatile and small fryer will add a splash of color to your kitchen and help cut those calories. Featuring a digital display and multiple settings to cook a variety of different foods (you can even bake a cake), this GoWISE programmable air fryer cooks your food to perfection while retaining juices and flavor.
This reliable kitchen appliance has speed in mind and with adjustable temperature settings that range from 170 ° F -; 400 ° F, you can prepare a meal in 30 minutes or less. Do you like this product? Take a look at our juicer review for our top picks.
Pros & Cons of GoWISE USA 3.7 Qt Programmable Air Fryer with 8 Cooking Presets
- Includes eight preset cooking programs
- Includes economical auto shut-off switch
- The indicator beeps to alert you when your meal is ready.
- Features an easy-to-navigate blue color digital display
- No viewing window to see your food while cooking
- Does not come with a hotplate, this must be purchased separately at an additional cost.
FAQ’s for BEST ELECTRIC AIR FRYERS
Caveman Guide’s final thoughts for GoWISE USA 3.7 Qt Programmable Air Fryer with 8 Cooking Presets
“The overall performance of the product is extremely efficient which makes it a good enough product for our users so definitely, we would highly recommend to buy this product if you want value for money.”— CaveMan’s Guide
Specifications of GoWISE USA 5.8 Quart 8 in 1 5.8 Quart XL Electric Air Fryer
|Item Weight:||4 ounces|
Main Features of GoWISE USA 5.8 Quart 8 in 1 5.8 Quart XL Electric Air Fryer
- Features an LCD digital touchscreen that offers a variety of cooking and temperature options.
- This model can cook most meals in just under 30 minutes.
- Comes with many additional accessories (grills and skewers) to allow you to cook multiple categories of food at once
- The removable basket is ideal for those who would like to turn their food or add seasoning halfway through cooking.
Reviews of GoWISE USA 5.8 Quart 8 in 1 5.8 Quart XL Electric Air Fryer
This is the 4th model in the GoWise USA Quartz line and things just keep getting better! If you are looking for the best value for money then this is your man! With a large side, this air fryer is ideal for large families or recreation. Featuring an impressive touchscreen menu, an FDA-certified, PFOA-free non-stick skillet, and settings that allow you to cook a wide variety of foods at different temperatures, this user-friendly kitchen accessory is a must-have if you are a big householder and want to lead a healthy lifestyle.
Also, the 5.8 Quart XL 8 in 1 Electric Fryer is different from most other air frying options, that is, the removable frying basket can easily remove halfway through cooking, giving you a chance to flip your fries before putting the basket back in place.
● Features an LCD digital touchscreen that offers a variety of cooking and temperature options.
● This model can cook most meals in just under 30 minutes.
● Comes with many additional accessories (grills and skewers) to allow you to cook multiple categories of food at once
● The removable basket is ideal for those who would like to turn their food or add seasoning halfway through cooking.
Pros & Cons of TenPoint V Crossbowenom
- An ideal option if you have several mouths to feed
- The parts are removable for easy cleaning and dishwasher safe.
- Comes with a cookbook with over 50 meal ideas that are perfect for this brand of fryers.
- Includes a timer that automatically puts the machine into sleep mode as soon as the time limit is reached.
- It is a large house, so it is not ideal for small households.
- The non-stick coating on the basket tends to peel after a few uses.
FAQ’s for BEST ELECTRIC AIR FRYERS
Caveman Guide’s final thoughts for TenPoint V Crossbowenom
“The product comes up with an elegant design and promises efficiency, our final verdict would actually be in favor of this fryer considering the price and features. We highly recommend this product if you are tight on budget but still want a useful fryer with various features.”— CaveMan’s Guide
3. T-falActiFry fryer
Specifications of T-falActiFry fryer
Main Features of T-falActiFry fryer
- Use the ActiFry Precision Measuring Spoon to add a tablespoon or less of your favorite oil for a perfectly crunchy and healthy meal.
- Features a digital LED timer and an alarm that sounds to alert you when food is ready.
- AirFry technology includes a patented heat pulse system that ensures the optimal circulation of hot air for even cooking.
- Supplied with a grid for small snack foods
Reviews of T-falActiFry fryer
First place and first choice, the T-falActiFry is our top-rated air fryer. Why? Because it ticks all the boxes while remaining competitively priced. Aesthetics may not be the strong point of this machine, but practicality and quality make up for this shortfall, making it a machine that has no-nonsense and whose purpose is simply to provide delicious and healthy food.
Featuring a unique paddle and pulse heating system, food is cooked evenly and crisp to perfection while keeping the inner layers soft. It’s reliable, easy to navigate and it’s a dream to clean. What more? Our handy guide to the best slow cookers has more great products like this for you.
● Use the ActiFry Precision Measuring Spoon to add a tablespoon or less of your favorite oil for a perfectly crunchy and healthy meal.
● Features a digital LED timer and an alarm that sounds to alert you when food is ready.
● AirFry technology includes a patented heat pulse system that ensures the optimal circulation of hot air for even cooking.
● Supplied with a grid for small snack foods
Pros & Cons of T-falActiFry fryer
- With only two buttons to use, it is very easy to use
- Cleaning is a dream and removable parts can be placed in the dishwasher
- Comes with a full-color recipe book with 32 recipes.
- The timer is reliable and lets you focus on other things while you wait for the alarm to sound.
- Does not turn off automatically after time has elapsed
- A bulky machine that takes up a lot of space on the counter.
FAQ’s for T-falActiFry fryer
Caveman Guide’s final thoughts for T-falActiFry fryer
“Although the product has had its trouble with overheating but still the company has done good enough to resolve the problem so, the product could be a good addition to your kitchen if used wisely.”— CaveMan’s Guide
4. Philips Frustration-Free HD9652 / 90 Viva Turbostar Air Fryer from Philips
Specifications of Philips Frustration-Free HD9652 / 90 Viva Turbostar Air Fryer from Philips
|Device Weight||15.08 lb|
Main Features of Philips Frustration-Free HD9652 / 90 Viva Turbostar Air Fryer from Philips
- Comes with a 60-minute timer with an audible signal to alert you when your meal is ready.
- Program the fryer to memorize the settings of your favorite foods
- Cooks a variety of foods with different cooking options and different temperature settings (choose from Fry, Bake, Grill, and Roast)
- Philips patented TurboStar technology allows air-fried food to be cooked with up to 75% less fat.
- Easy to clean and dishwasher safe
Reviews of Philips Frustration-Free HD9652 / 90 Viva Turbostar Air Fryer from Philips
Sleek yet practical in design, this air stove features Philips’ patented TurboStar technology. This technology allows the handy kitchen gadget to cook your food by exposing it to a constant circulation of hot air, which keeps the amount of oil added to a minimum. As the air circulates, all the excess oil is vented, allowing you to have a healthy meal that doesn’t skimp on taste. For your convenience, you can use the digital display to set a timer and once the timer expires, the device will turn off automatically.
The Viva Turbostar is very versatile and offers many possibilities for grilling, roasting, and even baking! With parts that easily come off as and when you need them, this is another premium fryer that’s easy to clean and maintains a compact size. It is an ideal gift for the foodie in your life.
● Comes with a 60-minute timer with an audible signal to alert you when your meal is ready.
● Program the fryer to memorize the settings of your favorite foods
● Cooks a variety of foods with different cooking options and different temperature settings (choose from Fry, Bake, Grill, and Roast)
● Philips patented TurboStar technology allows air-fried food to be cooked with up to 75% less fat.
● Easy to clean and dishwasher safe
Pros & Cons of Philips Frustration-Free HD9652 / 90 Viva Turbostar Air Fryer from Philips
- No preheating required the machine is automatically ready for cooking.
- Includes multiple cooking options with temperature control
- Includes a timer with automatic shutdown
- Easy to clean and dishwasher safe
- The frying basket is a bit on the small size and will fit a couple or one person household only.
FAQ’s for Philips Frustration-Free HD9652 / 90 Viva Turbostar Air Fryer from Philips
Caveman Guide’s final thoughts for Philips Frustration-Free HD9652 / 90 Viva Turbostar Air Fryer from Philips
“We would highly recommend our readers to buy this one if you are looking to buy a fryer that is easy to handle and gives you a lot of options at the same time. Overall a very reliable product and surely worth your money.”— CaveMan’s Guide
Specifications of Purify BLACK + DECKER 2 Liter Air Fryer
|Mark||Black + Decker|
|Device Weight||12.5 lbs|
Main Features of Purify BLACK + DECKER 2 Liter Air Fryer
- Features variable temperature control, which means you can adjust the temperature depending on the type of food you want to cook.
- The non-stick frying basket slides easily in and out of the machine.
- Includes an audible alarm that alerts you when cooking is complete.
- A more affordable option of air fry brands on the market
Reviews of Purify BLACK + DECKER 2 Liter Air Fryer
He looks like a very classy guy, that one! Crafted from durable plastic and smooth stainless steel finishes, this Black + DeckerPurify 2.0 liter fryer would look great and do good on your countertops. Equipped with not one, but two convection fans to ensure fast, even and, of course, delicious heating of food! Depending on your taste preferences, you may not add any oil at all and you will still be served a crisp and tender meal. Cook a variety of meals at your preferred temperature by simply turning the knobs and following the setting suggested in the accompanying booklet.
This appliance has a timer and two indicator lights, one which indicates that the fryer is on and the other which lights when the preheated temperature has been reached. Although pleasant to the eye, this machine is more practical. Be sure to also check out our list of cool mixers for more great items like this.
● Features variable temperature control, which means you can adjust the temperature depending on the type of food you want to cook.
● The non-stick frying basket slides easily in and out of the machine.
● Includes an audible alarm that alerts you when cooking is complete.
● A more affordable option of air fry brands on the market
Pros & Cons of Purify BLACK + DECKER 2 Liter Air Fryer
- Very durable and the stainless steel is a nice touch.
- This is an affordable option for the standard features it offers
- Controls are convenient and easy to use
- With the dual convection fans, food is cooked evenly with minimal cooking oil.
- Not an ideal deep fryer if you want to use it for baking.
- A little smaller and only ideal for 1 to 2 person households.
FAQ’s for Purify BLACK + DECKER 2 Liter Air Fryer
Caveman Guide’s final thoughts for Purify BLACK + DECKER 2 Liter Air Fryer
“We would highly recommend our readers to buy this one if you are looking to buy a fryer that is easy to handle and gives you a lot of options at the same time. Overall a very reliable product and surely worth your money.”— CaveMan’s Guide
Specifications of Cuisinart TOA-60 Deep Fryer
|Device Weight||21 Pounds|
Main Features of Cuisinart TOA-60 Deep Fryer
- Comes with 7 functions, including air fry, bake, and toast.
- Includes a non-stick coating to prevent food from sticking, which also makes cleaning easier
- Supplied with the following accessories: oven rack, baking tray, air fryer basket.
- Includes a timer with an automatic shutdown when not in use.
Reviews of Cuisinart TOA-60 Deep Fryer
It’s our Premium Pick, and for good reason. The Cuisinart is a multi-functional machine that has the capacity to replace your stove and a few other kitchen appliances! Fry, boil, bake, reheat and even toast with this extremely durable stainless steel cooking genius! This is definitely one of the best fryer options on the market and while it’s on the pricey side, it’s definitely worth its weight in gold.
Convenient in appearance and use, this kitchen horse fries your food with powerful ultra-hot air and requires the addition of little or no cooking oil. Although it is large, you can make up for the room by eliminating the counter space of other appliances that this big guy can easily replace.
● Comes with 7 functions, including air fry, bake, and toast.
● Includes a non-stick coating to prevent food from sticking, which also makes cleaning easier
● Supplied with the following accessories: oven rack, baking tray, air fryer basket.
● Includes a timer with an automatic shutdown when not in use.
Pros & Cons of Cuisinart TOA-60 Deep Fryer
- Its multifunctionality makes it a convenient high-end kitchen appliance for a quick snack or a full three-course meal.
- No preheating required
- High-speed air fries
- Crafted from stainless steel, this is an extremely durable machine that’s built to last.
- Doesn’t include a removable drip tray for excess fat, so you’ll need to use the baking pan instead.
- Not all parts are dishwasher safe.
FAQ’s for CUISINART TOA-60 DEEP FRYER
Caveman Guide’s final thoughts for Cuisinart TOA-60 Deep Fryer
“In a price range like this, this has to be the best fryer quality wise, we highly recommend to put your money on this one.”— CaveMan’s Guide
Specifications of Big Boss Oil-Free Air Fryer
Main Features of Big Boss Oil-Free Air Fryer
- Combines halogen heat, convection and infrared technology to keep foods tender on the inside and crisp on the outside, while using little to no added fats and oils.
- The two-tray design allows you to cook different foods at once.
- Cooks food three times faster than most cooking appliances, making them both convenient and economical.
- Includes timer, control to set desired heat, and two warning lights.
Reviews of Big Boss Oil-Free Air Fryer
This fryer lives up to its name, it really is a BIG boss! Uniquely designed, the Big Boss Oil-Free Air Fryer is designed to be transparent so you can keep an eye on your food as it cooks. Finished off with a red garnish, use the side platters to cook more than one type of food at a time – quite the handy kitchen appliance! The Boss Air Fryer Oil-Free Deep Fryer has the ability to cook food up to 3 times faster than other handy cookers while consuming less energy (making it very economical).
Although most air fryers can be used as a dehydrator for fruit, this model boasts of this feature as an added bonus by helping you maintain a healthy lifestyle without having to give up tasty foods. If you are looking to upgrade your cookware, then be sure to read our deep fryer review.
● Combines halogen heat, convection, and infrared technology to keep foods tender on the inside and crisp on the outside, while using little to no added fats and oils.
● The two-tray design allows you to cook different foods at once.
● Cooks food three times faster than most cooking appliances, making them both convenient and economical.
● Includes timer, control to set desired heat, and two warning lights.
Pros & Cons of Big Boss Oil-Free Air Fryer
- One of the few glass machines that allow you to see food as it cooks.
- Use the side platters to cook an entire meal at one time.
- The fryer automatically shuts off if the glass cover is removed, which is an impressive safety feature.
- Much noisier than other models
- The basket is of poor quality and many reviews point out that the machine is not the most durable of the brands.
FAQ’s for BIG BOSS OIL-FREE AIR FRYER
Caveman Guide’s final thoughts for Big Boss Oil-Free Air Fryer
“The company has invested a lot in the design and development of the fryer into a modern appliance and so far received applause overall. A must try fryer we would say. “— CaveMan’s Guide
Specifications of 6 QT Electric Air Fryer with 7 in 1 Cooking Functions
|Manufacturer||Power AirFryer XL|
|Device Weight||19.11 lb|
Main Features of 6 QT Electric Air Fryer with 7 in 1 Cooking Functions
- Includes a digital touchscreen that lets you easily select your cooking preferences.
- Comes well equipped with accessories for convenient cooking options
- Capable of dehydrating fruits and vegetables without added sugar
- Available in 2 different sizes (small and large)
Reviews of 6 QT Electric Air Fryer with 7 in 1 Cooking Functions
Whether you have a large family or just love to entertain, the QT Power Air Fryer is virtually guaranteed to become a longtime friend in your kitchen projects. Built with the goal of making meals healthier, you can now cook food without adding butter, oil or fat, while still retaining juices and flavor. This air fryer also likes to accessorize and includes 3 airflow grates, 10 steel skewers, a mesh basket, rotating roasting spit, and oil collection pan. With THREE cookbooks added, you are really going to be able to cook up a storm with this dude! Don’t forget to also check out our guide to the best electric frying pans.
● Includes a digital touchscreen that lets you easily select your cooking preferences.
● Comes well equipped with accessories for convenient cooking options
● Capable of dehydrating fruits and vegetables without added sugar
● Available in 2 different sizes (small and large)
Pros & Cons of 6 QT Electric Air Fryer with 7 in 1 Cooking Functions
- Extremely versatile and can cook an arrangement of dishes
- Easy to assemble and disassemble for cleaning
- Rapid heating
- Easily programmable and includes convenient settings.
- A bit pricey for its functionality, but that’s probably due to the addition of all the accessories.
FAQ’s for 6 QT ELECTRIC AIR FRYER WITH 7 IN 1 COOKING FUNCTIONS
Caveman Guide’s final thoughts for 6 QT Electric Air Fryer with 7 in 1 Cooking Functions
“Caveman would only recommend this product if you are not buying a fryer for the first time for so many reasons. Overall, a very modern fryer with almost every needed option.”— CaveMan’s Guide
Specifications of Digital Touch Screen for Cozyna SAF-32 Deep Fryer
|Device Weight||11 pounds|
Main Features of Digital Touch Screen for Cozyna SAF-32 Deep Fryer
- Includes over 50 featured recipes and an easy-to-read user guide.
- All removable parts are dishwasher safe.
- Includes 30-minute timer with auto shut off
- The digital touchscreen is easy to program and includes convenient settings.
Reviews of Digital Touch Screen for Cozyna SAF-32 Deep Fryer
Enjoy crispness without the calories and messy cleanup with the purchase of the Cozyna SAF-31 Digital Air Fryer. Prepare a healthy feast and when cooking is done, simply remove the cooking trays or baskets and put them in the dishwasher for easy cleanup. Fry, bake, broil or roast for a healthier lifestyle when preparing your meals with this air fryer that uses little added oils and fats. Use the included temperature controls so the machine can quickly produce hot air to cook anything from vegetables to the finest cuts of meat.
Using 70% less oil in your dishes than other frying methods, this model uses the very latest air frying technology to cook food to perfection. This would also make a perfect gift for those who love to eat.
● Includes over 50 featured recipes and an easy-to-read user guide.
● All removable parts are dishwasher safe.
● Includes 30-minute timer with auto shut off
● The digital touchscreen is easy to program and includes convenient settings.
Pros & Cons of Digital Touch Screen for Cozyna SAF-32 Deep Fryer
- Simultaneous cooking of all food from all sides, so no need to turn the food.
- Easy to clean
- Lined with a non-stick coating
- There have been a few reports that the machine stops working after first use
FAQ’s for DIGITAL TOUCH SCREEN FOR COZYNA SAF-32 DEEP FRYER
Caveman Guide’s final thoughts for Digital Touch Screen for Cozyna SAF-32 Deep Fryer
“Yet another masterpiece in such an affordable price, we would recommend you to gp for this one if you want quality in this price range.”— CaveMan’s Guide
Specifications of Dash Compact Air Fryer
|Device Weight||5.7 lbs|
Main Features of Dash Compact Air Fryer
- Use the temperature control knob to set your heat preference according to the foods you are cooking.
- The cool-touch handle allows you to remove the basket without burning your hands.
- Compact size with rubber feet for convenient placement on the counter
- Available in a variety of attractive colors (white, black, charcoal, red and pastel blue)
Reviews of Dash Compact Air Fryer
Pretty, practical, and easy on the pocket. If you’re looking for a sane machine that just sticks to get the job done while ensuring a healthier meal, then the Dash Compact Air Fryer is probably your most suitable option. Perfect for a one-room apartment, this kitchen companion replaces the use of oil with AirCrisp technology while keeping your food crunchy, tender and so delicious! With easy-to-use controls and basic settings, this model also features a reliable timer and includes an auto shut-off feature for added safety and convenience.
● Use the temperature control knob to set your heat preference according to the foods you are cooking.
● The cool-touch handle allows you to remove the basket without burning your hands.
● Compact size with rubber feet for convenient placement on the counter
● Available in a variety of attractive colors (white, black, charcoal, red and pastel blue)
Pros & Cons of Dash Compact Air Fryer
- Compact and perfect for a small household
- Reduces oil and fat consumption by up to 80%
- Comes with a non-stick dishwasher safe basket.
- A lightweight machine that is ideal for traveling with
- No presets included
- No window to watch the food while it cooks
- You can only cook small portions at a time.
FAQ’s for DASH COMPACT AIR FRYER
Caveman Guide’s final thoughts for Dash Compact Air Fryer
“A product that might not be an ideal one for a family of 2 or 3 but can be a good choice for small businesses around the world.— CaveMan’s Guide
Conclusion & Caveman’s Pick
At the end, we are quite sure that; this guide is good enough to help you select your winning product and ideal fryer. Still, we would like to introduce our best pick which is completely our personal opinion and has nothing to do with the reliability of any other products reviewed in this guide as they are equally good too.
Our best pick would be the GoWISE USA 3.7 Qt Programmable Air Fryer with 8 Cooking Presets, this comes up with 8 cooking presets plus so many good options that make it an ideal choice for a user.
It hasn’t faced any heating problems at all and has been one heck of a product by the company. The price range is another factor why we would highly recommend our users to prefer this one over the others.
How does a hot air fryer work?
The concept of a deep fryer is to cook foods low in calories and low in fat. We explain how this works in the following section.
The principle of a hot air fryer is quickly explained. Inside such a device there is a ring-shaped heating element that heats the air in the cooking chamber of the deep fryer to the desired temperature. One or more fans circulate the hot air evenly inside the deep fryer. It can therefore be said that a hot air fryer is a miniature version of a convection oven.
Depending on the features of the hot air fryer, it is possible to set the temperature and cooking time using preset automatic programs. In this way, users can ensure ideal preparation conditions at the push of a button. Some models are equipped with two levels on which food can be prepared at the same time. Many hot air fryers offer a timer function, thanks to which the device switches off automatically at a specified time.
Inside, many hot air fryers are equipped with a lid that can be opened to put the food in. Alternatively, there are models with a drawer in which French fries and the like can be filled. Then a small amount of oil can be countered in a container provided for this purpose. If you want to do without fat additives completely, you can skip this step. Without fat, the prepared dishes are lower in calories but less crispy.
The advantages and disadvantages of fryers without fat
Hot air fryers promise many advantages. As is the case with most things, they also come with some disadvantages. We have compiled the pros and cons in the following section.
The advantages of hot air fryers:
- Gentle preparation: deep-frying, roasting, boiling, grilling, and baking in a hot air fryer is gentle on the food. Vitamins and minerals are largely retained.
- Low-fat cooking: Even if a little oil is added to the frying process, the fries will absorb less of it than in a hot oil bath. Alternatively, food can be prepared entirely without adding fat.
- Save time and energy: The time that a convection oven needs to preheat and a classic deep fryer to heat the fat is eliminated with a hot air fryer. This not only saves time but also promises significant power savings in the long term.
- Deep frying cleanly and safely: Those who prepare their french fries in a hot air fryer do not have to beware of dangerous oil splashes or clean their kitchen of traces of oil after using them.
- Easy to clean: A convection deep fryer is easier to clean compared to classic deep fryers. Also, there is no need to dispose of the old oil.
- Fewer smells: When using a classic deep fryer, the typical, greasy smell occurs, which can easily become lodged in hair and clothing. This problem does not exist when using a hot air fryer.
What are the disadvantages of using a hot air fryer?
The disadvantages of deep fryers without fat result from not using this. Where there is no fat, there is no crispness. Fat is considered to be a flavor carrier, which is why the foods prepared in a hot air fryer may appear less flavorful. If French fries and Co. are left in the air fryer for too long, they can lose their juiciness or dry out. It should also be mentioned that the cooking process in a hot air fryer takes more time than in a classic deep fryer. This disadvantage is offset by the lack of heating time.
What types of air fryers are there?
Air fryers can be divided into two types, the functioning of which does not differ from one another. The differences lie in the structure of the devices. These include:
- Hot air fryers with transparent lids
- Hot air fryers with a drawer system
Hot air fryers with lids
Hot air fryers with a lid usually offer a higher capacity than models with a drawer system. Advantageously, many such deep fryers are equipped with a viewing window on the lid, which makes it possible to check the food during preparation without opening the lid. This means that heat loss during the inspection can be avoided, which ensures greater energy efficiency.
- Usually higher capacity than hot air fryers with a drawer system
- Often with a viewing window – no heat loss when inspecting food
- Tends to be larger
Hot air fryers with a drawer system
In many hot air fryers, the frying basket is pushed in through a kind of drawer. This fact allows hot air fryers to be built with more economical dimensions. The capacity of such models is usually lower. The disadvantage is that the drawer has to be pulled out when the food is to be checked. This leads to a loss of energy and heat, which harms the energy efficiency of the device.
Both types of hot air fryers are available with or without a paddle. These ensure that the food is automatically circulated, which ensures more even results. This function has a not insignificant effect on the price of a hot air fryer.
- Compact design – requires less space
- Food inspection loses heat and energy
Which foods can be prepared in a hot air fryer?
The range of options for dishes and foods that you can prepare in the air fryer is almost endless. Basically, everything that you would put in your oven can fit into such a deep fryer.
But this is still too brief. Whether vegetables, meat, fish, rice, or pasta – there are basically no limits to your imagination. Even bread can be baked in such a device. A hot air fryer is also well suited to warm up dishes or to heat frozen dishes to the right temperature.
Purchase advice – what should be considered when buying a hot air fryer?
To find a hot air fryer that will meet their needs, consumers should consider a few factors. To make the purchase decision easier for our readers, we have compiled the most important criteria in the following section.
Things to consider:
- Viewing window
- Dishwasher safe
- Features and functions
First, consumers should get an overview of how much space is available to them in their kitchen to accommodate another kitchen appliance. Medicinal air fryers are available in the size of a small kettle as well as with the dimensions of a large fully automatic coffee machine. In our hot air fryer comparison, we provide information about the dimensions and weight of each individual model.
The performance of a hot air fryer should be taken into account in the purchase decision for two reasons: It is closely related to the temperature and indicates how high the power consumption of the device is. The power range of hot air fryers is between 1,200 and 2,500 watts. In general, the higher the performance of a hot air fryer, the higher the maximum temperatures, and the higher the power consumption. The increased power consumption balances out again. Because the higher temperatures shorten the preparation times.
Air deep-fryers work at lower temperatures than deep fat fryers. That is what is wanted. No such high temperatures are required when preparing food with hot air. Most models work with a temperature range between 80 and 150 degrees Celsius. There are a few devices that do not achieve such a high range or offer greater bandwidth. In general, the higher the temperature range, the more versatile the preparation options are with the hot air fryer.
The capacity shows how many portions can be prepared in a hot air fryer per cycle. The differences are huge. While small hot air fryers have a capacity of less than 1.5 liters, larger devices can hold more than 5 liters. Consumers should estimate the amount of food they can expect to cook in the deep fryer. Then the capacity of the air fryer can be adjusted. When in doubt, it is worth choosing a larger model. In this way, not only low-fat meals can be prepared for your own family, but also for possible guests.
Both the frying basket and the inside of a hot air fryer should be made of high-quality material – preferably stainless steel. It is advantageous if the inner material of the deep fryer is provided with a non-stick coating that prevents the food from burning. The basket should be equipped with a heat-resistant handle that does not heat up during operation. In this way, skin burns can be avoided.
Differences in quality can be seen in hot air fryers from different price ranges. Since these are not recognizable in photos, consumption should be informed in the experience reports of other users about the processing quality of the deep fryer.
The viewing window
High-quality hot air fryers have a viewing window that allows a look inside the device. Some devices are equipped with transparent lids which, in combination with a viewing window, give an even better impression of how the food is in the deep fryer.
Most manufacturers offer hot air fryers with well-designed controls that can be operated intuitively. Consumers can distinguish between two variants: deep fryers with LCD displays or with manual operating elements such as rotary controls. If you want an easy-to-use hot air fryer, you can choose a model with manual control elements. These are easy to understand and allow straightforward operation. Hot air fryers with automatic functions should be equipped with an LCD display.
Not all hot air fryers are suitable for cleaning in the dishwasher. In this case, cleaning can only be done by hand. If you want to make cleaning your air fryer easier, you should make sure that all removable parts can be cleaned in the dishwasher.
Features and functions
Many hot air fryers come with useful additional functions. There are often timer functions that can be used to set the duration of the deep fryer. A hot air fryer with several levels is recommended for the simultaneous preparation of different foods. In this way, ingredients with different cooking times can be prepared precisely. Some models offer auto programs for the preparation of specific foods – for example, French fries or chicken. It should be noted that such additional functions affect the price of the device. If you are looking for the cheapest possible hot air fryer, you can do without it.
How much does a hot air fryer cost?
Hot air fryers are available in different price ranges. While deep fryers with a small capacity and without additional functions are available in the middle double-digit range, consumption when buying a large medicinal air fryer with an LCD display, timer function, and automatic programs must plan a three-digit investment. In general, the following costs can be expected when buying a new hot air fryer:
- Hot air fryers from the lower price range – 40 to 80 euros
- Mid-range hot air fryers – 80 to 160 euros
- Hot air fryers from the upper price range – from 160 euros
What should you watch out for when cleaning a hot air fryer?
Since the air fryer works with little or no fat, the cleaning effort is limited. Nonetheless, consumers should keep a few points in mind. First of all, it is advisable to get an overview of the special features of the device in the operating instructions for the device. It is important to know whether all removable parts of the deep fryer can be cleaned in a dishwasher. When cleaning the air fryer, the main focus should be on the food container. It is important to clean this thoroughly after each use. The housing of the device only needs to be cleaned when necessary.
- When cleaning the interior, users should avoid using utensils that could leave scratches – for example, steel wool or rough sponges.
- Cleaning should only take place as soon as the device has completely cooled down.
- After cleaning, all residues of the detergent used should be carefully removed. Otherwise, this could leave an unpleasant aftertaste the next time you use the device.
4 mistakes to avoid when using a hot air fryer
To enable our readers to use their hot air fryers effectively and smoothly, we would like to address the most common mistakes in the following section. These include:
- Preheat the air fryer like an oven
- The device remains switched on permanently
- Choosing the wrong modes
- Incorrect placement of ingredients